Development Review Process
The outline below presents a broad depiction of the development review process in the Village of Homer Glen. Applicants should be aware that applications are distinct and may consist of numerous reviews. Therefore, they might not fit into the specifics of this outline.
The following applications for public hearings are fillable PDFs. They can be completed on a device and printed out for signatures of the applicant, property owner, and notaries. Please contact the Planning and Zoning Department with any questions regarding the applications or the public hearing process at (708)301-0632 or.
- Special Use Permit Application (Fillable PDF)
- Zoning Map/Zoning Text Amendment Application (Fillable PDF)
- Zoning Variance Application (Fillable PDF)
- Sign Variance Application (Fillable PDF)
- Preliminary/Final Plat Application (Fillable PDF)
- Contact staff to set up a pre-application meeting and bring any site plans or information regarding the proposed project or development.
- Submit a formal application and the appropriate fees.
- Staff and/or consultants reviews the submitted plans.
- Once the application is complete and plans comply with requirements and the Village Code, the applicant will be scheduled for Plan Commission review.
Development Review meeting with the Taxing Districts seeking their comments on a concept plan.
Plan Commission Process
- Once a Plan Commission date is scheduled, Village Staff will publish a legal notice and mail first-class letters of notice no less than 15 days prior to the public hearing.
- If the subject property is zoned any residential district, Village Staff will post a public hearing sign on the property. If the subject property is zoned any commercial or industrial website, the applicant will be required to post a 4 foot by 6 foot public hearing sign on the property. All signs must be posted 14 days prior to the public hearing.
- The Plan Commission conducts the public hearing which allows for testimony by the applicant and any other interested parties.
- The Plan Commission makes a recommendation to the Village Board.
Village Board Process
- Consideration of approval by the Village Board is scheduled for the next available date after the Plan Commission recommendation.
- Applicant can apply for building permit(s) through the Building Department.
- An application for a text or map amendment, which has been denied by the Village Board, cannot be resubmitted for a period of one (1) year from the date of the order of denial, except on the grounds of new evidence or proof of change of condition found to be valid by the Plan Commission and Village Board.