To maintain and enhance an attractive and distinctive community that builds upon and preserves Homer Glen's countryside character, unique natural resources and abundance of open space.
Of the workshop attendees on April 26, 2003, 94.8% agreed or strongly agreed with this goal statement.
Listed in order of urgency for implementation:
- Promote attractive and well designed residential and commercial development that meets community development goals.
- Identify special character area, tailoring growth to ensure that unique natural resources are supported and enhanced.
- Create and attractive centralized and distinctive town center, with parks, recreation center, municipal building, and cultural center accessible by walking or cycling.
- Minimize negative visual impacts of development such as light pollution, obtrusive or unsightly signage, and parking areas.
- Maintain and enhance the village's rural atmosphere.
- Safeguard Homer Glen's environmental features and natural resources as distinguishing features of the community.
- Continue to involve community residents in planning, decision making, and plan implementation.
- Find ways to preserve the agricultural uses that contribute to the rural character of the community.
- Ensure community visual image within each district so that all parts contribute to overall village image.