The Village is organizing a spring food drive for the week of April 3. A trailer will be placed in front of Village Hall on Monday, April 3 through Thursday, April 13 to collect food for the Lockport Food Pantry.
Here are some helpful tips when donating to a food bank:
1. Everyone donates Kraft Mac & Cheese in the box, but it needs milk and butter which is hard to get from food banks.
2. Boxed milk is a treasure. Kids need it for cereal, which they get a lot of.
3. Everyone donates pasta sauce & spaghetti noodles.
4. Canned foods should be pop tops OR donate can openers.
5. Oil is a luxury needed for Rice A Roni, which they get a lot of.
6. Spices, Salt, & Pepper are a real gift.
7. Tea bags and coffee are caring gifts.
8. Sugar and flour are treats.
9. Important are fresh produce donated by farmers and grocery stores.
10. Seeds are great in spring and summer because growing can be easy for some.
11. Rarely is there fresh meat.
12. Tuna and crackers make a good lunch.
13. Hamburger helper goes nowhere without ground beef.
14. They get lots of peanut butter and jelly but NEED sandwich bread.
15. Butter or margarine are good.
16. Eggs are a commodity!
17. Cake mix and frosting makes it possible to make a child's birthday cake.
18. Dishwashing detergent is very expensive and is always appreciated.
19. Feminine hygiene products are a luxury and women will cry over them.
20. Everyone loves Stove Top Stuffing.
Bonus: CASH makes it possible for the Food Bank to buy what's missing and buy in bulk.
Thank you in advance for your generosity!