Planning & Zoning Department
Planning and Zoning Department within the Village of Homer Glen focuses on land uses, current and future, their locations within the Village, and administration of the Comprehensive Land Use Plan, the Zoning chapter of the Village Code, and all applicable Zoning District regulations.
Comprehensive Land Use Plan
The Comprehensive Land Use Plan for the Village of Homer Glen was adopted in 2005 and sets forth long-range recommendations for the future growth and development within the village. The goals are to preserve, protect and enhance the community’s quality of life through responsible residential and commercial economic development. The Village strives to maintain open space, preserve the unique rural character, and safeguard the Village’s natural resources.
The Village of Homer Glen is updating its 2005 Comprehensive Plan and Design Guidelines to provide a renewed vision and strategies to guide growth and development over the next 20 years. Building upon the Village’s 2018-21 Strategic Plan, the Comprehensive Plan Update will address core community issues such as housing, economic development, infrastructure, utilities, and potential opportunity sites. The project launched in May 2019 and is anticipated to be completed over an 18-month time frame.
FOLLOW PROJECT PROGRESS AT: https://myhomerglen.org/
Planning and Zoning Department reviews the following applications:
- Annexations relating to new developments and businesses within the Village
- Map Amendments
- Planned Unit Developments
- Plats of Subdivisions and Re-subdivisions
- Special Use Permits
These reviews focus on compliance with Village Ordinances and site plan review. These applications typically require a public hearing before the Plan Commission who then forwards a recommendation onto the Village Board who ultimately acts on the application.
Planning and Zoning also includes the review of locations of residential patios, decks, garages, and other similar permits to ensure compliance with the Zoning chapter of the Village Code and applicable residential Zoning District regulations, such as setbacks and lot coverage.
- Contact the Planning and Zoning Department regarding zoning applications, variances, and sign permits.
- Contact the Building Department regarding building permits, including permits for sheds and swimming pools.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding floodplains or flood zones, please contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) directly or visit their website at FEMA for more information.