Thirteenth Annual Homer Glen
Community and Nature in Harmony Award - 2014
Print Nomination Form
Print Media Release
To recognize an individual, business, group, or community organization, who through the creation of wildlife habitat or preservation, restoration, and/or beautification of land within the village of Homer Glen, has demonstrated a commitment to the environment and, in the process, significantly contributed to community pride.
The Community and Nature in Harmony Award is a project of the Environment Committee of the Village of Homer Glen. In the year 2001, the Village of Homer Glen, by proclamation, established Homer Glen Lands Day as part of its recognition and support of National Public Lands Day. This year the date for National Public Lands Day and Homer Glen Lands Day is Saturday, September 27.
Award Nomination Deadline:
Nominations will be accepted until July 25, 2014.
Recipients will be selected from each of the following categories: Individuals, Business/Developers, and Community Organizations/Government Agencies. A maximum of 15 projects will receive awards.
Presentation of the awards will take place at a Homer Glen Board meeting.
- Individuals - all residents of Homer Glen and/or those who have contributed to the betterment of the environment of Homer Glen.
- Businesses and Developers - any commercial or industrial business working within the Village limits and/or contributing to the betterment of the environment of Homer Glen.
- Community Organizations and Government Agencies - any organization participating in Homer Glen including but not limited to youth groups, clubs, government agencies, churches, and schools.
- Village employees and members of the Environment Committee are ineligible.
- Previous winners must have new projects or repeated project must not have received an award in 2013.
Some Suggestions and Ideas for a Nomination (not limited to these):
- Promoting, organizing, or participating in neighborhood cleanups
- Coordinating educational programs
- Donating goods or services for an environmental program
- Planting trees, flowers, or native plants
- Encouraging others to maintain a cleaner and healthier environment
- Coordinating a recycling program
- Promoting an “Environmental Stewardship” philosophy
- Preservation or restoration activity or project
- Creation or protection of a wildlife habitat
- Promoting a rural atmosphere
- Protecting and maintaining our agricultural heritage
- Preservation of history related to the land
- Promotion of environmental awareness through writing/publishing activities
For additional information about Homer Glen Lands Day, please call the Village of Homer Glen at
Click here for 2013 award winners, tree planting ceremony, and photo galleries.
2013 Homer Glen Lands Day Proclamation
Posted September 12,2013
The Homer Glen Village Board has designated September 28, 2013 as Homer Glen Lands Day in recognition of the National Public Lands Day 2013. This designation shows the Village’s support and recognition of significant areas in our natural environment.
The Village Proclamation for this special day states: The Village of Homer Glen was founded and incorporated in large part due to the desires of its citizens to preserve the unique and diverse components of the natural environment within the Village and to take steps to assist in the further protection and beautification of that environment.
The Village’s Environment committee will hold two special events, the
Community and Nature in Harmony Awards Ceremony, October 8th at 7:00 PM in the Village Board Room and a tree planting ceremony, date to be announced later.
Click here for the 2013 Lands Day Proclamation
Information about National Public Lands Day may be found at their website by clicking the link below.
National Public Lands Day Website.