In conjunction with National Public Lands Day, the Village by proclamation established Homer Glen Lands Day. This important day was established to show support for recognizing and protecting significant areas in the natural environment. The Village Proclamation for this special day states: The Village of Homer Glen was founded and incorporated in large part due to the desires of its citizens to preserve the unique and diverse components of the natural environment within the Village and to take steps to assist in the further protection and beautification of that environment.
Homer Glen's Lands Day consists of more than one type of celebration, including the
Community and Nature in Harmony Awards and a
tree planting ceremony.
Click here to see photos of the 2012 Community and Nature in Harmony award winners.
Homer Glen Lands Day 2012 Tree Planting Ceremony
Click here to see photos of the Tree Planting Ceremony.
Thursday, November 1, 2012 - 10:00 am
Luther J. Schilling School
16025 Cedar Rd.
(East of the parking area)
Homer Glen, IL
The Homer Glen Lands Day Tree Planting Ceremony took place on Luther J. Schilling School property at 16025 Cedar Rd. in Homer Glen on November 1, 2012. The location for planting is east of the parking area.
Principal Anne Christie was very pleased to accept the donation of a tree since the school has recently lost some trees. Schilling School students were present to see the large native tree being planted by means of hydraulically operated equipment mounted on a truck. Rick Gomez, owner of Instant Shade Tree Transplanting Inc., has once again generously donated his services for planting. The Homer Glen Environment Committee coordinated the ceremony with the school. The public was invited to attend.
Eleventh Annual Homer Glen
Community and Nature in Harmony Award - 2012
Print Nomination Form
To recognize an individual, business, group, or community organization, who through the creation of wildlife habitat or preservation, restoration, and/or beautification of land within the village of Homer Glen
or unincorporated Homer Township, has demonstrated a commitment to the environment and, in the process, significantly contributed to community pride.
The Community and Nature in Harmony Award is a project of the Environment Committee of the Village of Homer Glen. In the year 2001, the Village of Homer Glen, by proclamation, established Homer Glen Lands Day as part of its recognition and support of National Public Lands Day. This year the date for National Public Lands Day and Homer Glen Lands Day is Saturday, September 29.
Award Nomination Deadline:
Nominations will be accepted until August 8, 2012.
Recipients will be selected from each of the following categories: Individuals, Business/Developers, and Community Organizations/Government Agencies. A maximum of
15 projects will receive awards.
Presentation of the awards will take place at a Homer Glen Board meeting.
- Individuals - all residents of Homer Glen and/or those who have contributed to the betterment of the environment of Homer Glen.
- Businesses and Developers - any commercial or industrial business working within the Village limits and/or contributing to the betterment of the environment of Homer Glen.
- Community Organizations and Government Agencies - any organization participating in Homer Glen including but not limited to youth groups, clubs, government agencies, churches, and schools.
- Village employees and members of the Environment Committee are ineligible.
- Previous winners must have new projects or repeated project must not have
received an award in 2011.
Some Suggestions and Ideas for a Nomination (not limited to these):
- Promoting, organizing, or participating in neighborhood cleanups
- Coordinating educational programs
- Donating goods or services for an environmental program
- Planting trees, flowers, or native plants
- Encouraging others to maintain a cleaner and healthier environment
- Coordinating a recycling program
- Promoting an “Environmental Stewardship” philosophy
- Preservation or restoration activity or project
- Creation or protection of a wildlife habitat
- Promoting a rural atmosphere
- Protecting and maintaining our agricultural heritage
- Preservation of history related to the land
- Promotion of environmental awareness through writing/publishing activities
For additional information about Homer Glen Lands Day, please call the
Village of Homer Glen at (708) 301-0632.
Information about National Public Lands Day may be found at their website by clicking the link below.
National Public Lands Day Website